"Richard J. Sexton" wrote:

> At 04:26 PM 1/22/99 -0500, Dan Steinverg wrote:

> >> Go post HTML to the IETF list and see what happens if
> >> you really believe this crock.
> >
> >I believe this, and I don't think I have to join another list to prove
> >it.
> >Richard, if you can't handle HTML and can't figure out a way around
> >it, I'll write you a filter (at my normal billing rate <g>).
> >

> Show me a mailing list where postng in only HTML is accepted and I'll believe you.

I'm on about 40 of them (about 300 messages/day on the aggregate).
Surprisingly, there are no dinosaurs on them.  Seems like doctors,
lawyers, speedskaters, cross-country skiers, LAN managers, year-2000
practitioners, etc. have no trouble with HTML.   I repeat my offer to
write you a filter.

> Find me even 1% of all interent mailing lists that you won't get yelled
> at for posting HTML *as well* and I'l believe you.

Define "yelled at".  If it means Richard and one or two others
complain, I don't buy it. I'd set the bar at 25%.  If 25% of a group
has a problem, that would be significant (maybe even 20%).  Until you
can demonstrate that a significant number of listmembers are disturbed
by HTML or MIME attachements, I don't buy your argument.  Are you
willing to annoy the listmembers with a survey just to prove my
point?  Go ahead, ask them how many cannot support HTML in their
normal mail configuration?

--
Dan Steinberg
"get those cars off the road.  They are scaring the horses"

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin
Box 532, RR1            phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec         fax:   (819) 827-4398
J0X 1N0                 e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]