Yeah, there is a bug in IE. I faced it once. The problem occurs only for background with some particular dimensions (it sound weird, I know). Try to reduce width of the background by 1 px and test it.

Oh, here is the link with better description: http://www.daltonlp.com/ daltonlp.cgi?item_type=1&item_id=217
scroll down to “Addendum: IE Link bug”.

Good luck!

best regards,