From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Keryx webb
Sent: Thursday, 30 November 2006 10:01 a.m.
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] Fieldset but no legend

Hello again!

I was using http://dev.wave.webaim.org and it complained about my having a
fieldset but no legend-element.

I am using a strict doctype and this is my markup:

<form id="seek" action="seek.php" method="post">
   <fieldset>
     <label for="seektext">Seek: </label>
     <input name="seektext" id="seektext" type="text" />
     <input type="submit" value="sök" />
   </fieldset>
</form>

This is my question, since I do need a containing element for my input
elements,
but see no real reason to have a "legend", am I misusing the fieldset element?

Visually there is no border (unless CSS is turned off of course.)

The only real reason I put in the fieldset tags is to comply with the DTD. But
perhaps a div would be better?

Will screen readers provide any unnecessary information if I do use the
fieldset
element, that seemed most appropriate for this job? (My only testing tool is
Fangs.)

Lars Gunther