Stick a fork in it.  I think it's done.

It was pretty spectacular and very, very smelly. I'd would have thought they used blue smoke in it like other electrical stuff but it was dark gray. How they get that much smoke into something so small is beyond me.

Too many amps for too long is my initial diagnoses. It got too hot and the non-twerly bits that where soldered to the twerly bits got unsoldered. This turned them into little shards of hot bits falling onto the roadway. Apparently spinning something at high rpm with high temps is just as good at desoldering as braid. I need to spend more time at the autopsy table because the wire to the dc/dc converter is really what caused most of the smoke it turns out.

That wire went from the main pack to the dc/dc to the system ground as it came out of the dc/dc. It's all toast. Every single millimeter of the wire burned off its insulation. I came around a turn and really hammered the throttle and the motor went. As I looked down I saw the dash light up like a christmas tree. So it looks like the motor died and in someway that killed the dc/dc?

Anyone care to explain to me your theories of what happened?

I'm not sure if I blew anything else up yet. Let's hope the controller and em dash are okay.

Pictures:
http://electricmotorcycles.net/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=1

Mike
--