> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:55:40 EDT
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [FLEAA] afstrinity
> To: listserv@floridaeaa.org
>
> Mike,
> If you check out the website, the cost differential listed by the
> manufacturer is just over $8,000 for the whole system.  The batteries are
> not selling
> for $20,000.  True, it would cost about that for a traction  pack suitable
> for
> an all electric EV.  But prices are coming down.   There is a guy by the
> name
> of Zack Radding who is building a kit lamborghini who  lists the cost of 23
> kWh worth of thundersky lithium phosphate batteries at  $15,000.  A rep
> that I
> talked to at GAIA was telling me that their pricing  goal is $0.75 per Wh
> by
> the end of this year.  Also, most manufacturers are  advertising cycle
> lives
> between 1500 and 2000, even 20,000!? for altair  nano.  Advertised cycle
> life
> even for good lead acid cells is only  400.  Maybe the batteries in the
> computers
> don't last long, but that is no  longer a fair comparison.  The batteries
> now
> marketed for traction packs  are different animals. Even so, how many
> cycles
> did you put the computer  batteries through during those two years?
> I'm not trying to light you up or anything, I just have to respectfully
> disagree that lithium batteries are a problem.  The only problem is the
> up-front
> costs.  In the long run, even if they fall short of published  specs to the
> same degree as lead acid batteries can,  they are still cost  effective.
> On the subject of the hybrid at hand, Cool!  I think George and I were
> talking briefly at the last meeting about the subject of using ultracaps in
> an  EV
> drivetrain.  My thought was to simply wire them in parallel with the
> battery
> pack and use them to compensate for voltage sag on acceleration and soak
> up
> current during regeneration.  This would spare the batteries wear and  tear
> and
> reduce peukert related losses.  He was talking about  using the ultracaps
> as
> a separately controlled power source.  This would be  more complicated, but
> would spare the batteries more effectively in the  same way and extend
> range
> more than my idea.  AFIK, they will be putting a  cap pack into the Jetta
> we tore
> apart yesterday.  I also mentioned the  possibility of using my EV as a
> test
> [...]

Just thinking about the immediate questions that come from people skeptical
about electric cars.  The cost of batteries is almost an immediate concern
because of the myths that are out there.  People are led to believe that the
cost of the batteries that will need to be replaced in 5 years negates all
advantages to buying just just buying gas with their existing car.  We all
know there are many other costs to be considered. A 144 volt pack of lithium
is at least $15,000 or more depending on where they come from.  Using
chinese lithiums are kind of scary due to the quality concerns.  I am sure
there are many people that have gotten batteries from china and had no
problems but I dont want to be the one that has problems and loses alot of
money being the unfortunate son.  Just one case out of 50 would be greatly
hammered on by the skeptics making it look like a problem overall when it
really isnt.

Ultracaps and lead acids seems to be the way to go at the moment with the
caps and batteries in two separate packs.  take off on caps has been proven
effective with the trinity.  but to be able to take off on caps, cruise on
batteries and then have the caps recharge from another source other than the
batteries we could greatly extend range and the life of the batteries. I
have put forth a goal of 1000 amps for 15 seconds at 200 volts to the caps
companies and have gotten responses that yes, it is possible to do that with
just caps.  The cost is about $8,000 but that is a high end goal.

The trinity opened the subject and why its not being tested further with
existing EVs. I will never know.  the ultracaps are not hugely expensive.

If your EV could be available for testing by all means lets do it! If we
cracked this open and got it working we would give a great boost to EVs
reaching 100 miles or more without NIMH batteries.