If the masterpage is hosting some external/custom built ASP.NET controls and
they are defined within a set of strongly named assemblies, you can just
install them into the GAC and it should work fine.  Might I suggest you try
contact the developers, to get a better insight into the custom
development?  You might also be missing other resources or dependencies
(assemblies, configuration, etc).

Matthew Cosier