I use google groups for a LOT of discussion lists, and find it works quite
well.

Pros:
-free
-web interface if you don't like spammy emails
-file area to upload stuff
-page capability to put FAQs/answered questions/etc

Cons:
-Have to have a "google account" (not just gmail, any email address will
work)