You can add the instruction in manifest.xml that controls whether WSS will
run IISRESET on each front-end Web server after the output solution package
has been deployed, upgraded, or retracted.

sample manifest.xml

<Solution
  SolutionId="24F91DED-8BA7-4633-8BA0-4C9B2A4387D7"
  ResetWebServer="True"
  xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/"; >
  <!--TEMPLATE files-->
  <TemplateFiles>
    <TemplateFile
      Location="IMAGES\HelloWorld\AfricanPith32.gif" />
  </TemplateFiles>
</Solution>

STSDEV is very useful in terms of building sharepoint solution,

Cheers
Jeffery