I got drag and drop between listboxes working in a prototype I was working
on few months ago.
I used canvas's and a method that checked for a collision/overlap between
the two elements when you did the drop.
Used the standard mouse approach of move events while button down to animate
the dragging around part. Had to clone the image element myself as no clone
in Silverlight. I've since had an idea of another way to copy the image but
haven't been back to test out my idea. (maybe using brush source - you know
how you can have video brushes all pointing at same source? wondering if
that would work with an image brush).

hope that makes sense...

cheers,
Stephen