Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> If my old notes still hold true, Xorg upgrade broke the driver
> autoconfiguration from udev rules. We should either drop it (and have
> the same bugs as upstream, i.e., using the "ati" driver for new (even
> totally unsupported) cards made by ATI (unless this got fixed
> upstream).

I wouldn't mind a little more detail on this one, please.

>> * fonts-thai
>
> The book specifically says "The list above will not provide complete
> Unicode coverage. For more information, please visit the Unicode Font
> Guide." Thai fonts are in that guide. While I have no idea how to
> handle such borderline cases (the book giving accurate general
> instructions and sending the reader to more authoritative sources), we
> have to set a policy here.
>
> If we stick to "only fonts listed in the book", then we essentially
> require the book to copy the whole Unicode Font Guide, which is bad.
>
> If we accept Thai fonts, then, well, we accept a package not in the book.

Ok. I don't mind adding it in again then. This is one of those areas
that I interpret as BLFS 'allowing' for this piece, since it references
it and provides a link. Of course, it could be argued that any open
source software that can be built on Linux is 'allowed' by the LFS or
BLFS framework, but that's not quite what I mean either.

Here's a little bit more about how I specifically envision the policy:

1. Software provided in LFS cannot be skipped or excluded unless LFS
says that it is optional, nor can the order be adjusted. The software
must be built using the parameters and build options documented in LFS
except for where such are labeled as optional (e.g., tests, package
documentation)

2. Any software that falls outside of LFS can be included if:
        * instructions for it is contained in BLFS
        * BLFS references it as a possible piece of software for inclusion (a
link to the software's home page)

3. Software that is part of BLFS and for which BLFS has build
instructions must be built according to BLFS instructions verbatim
except where the parameters or commands are noted as being optional.
Extraneous patches or command parameters/configure switches are not
allowed, unless they are declared as options in the BLFS page.

The point of the policy is to provide a living example of a system built
closely to LFS and BLFS specifications. It also serves to demonstrate
and pinpoint flaws in either book, so it should be a good springboard
for pushing new functionality into both books.

>> * lftp
>
> OK, although I will file a bug into BLFS.

Great, thanks.

--
JH