With Vesa's assistance (i.e., telling me precisely how to do it
*cough*), I have automation working for my bass editor element!

(Open bassline editor, click "add automation" button *inside the
bassline editor* to add an automation track, then ctrl-drag a control
onto the automation track.)

Still can't get it to do more than 100-cent pitch drop, though. I even
tried editing the .mmp file. Bah, how annoying.