Barbie wrote:
> The good thing about PPM is that it does all the installation
> for you. the bad thing is that it doesn't run any tests. Then
> again seeing as they've done the job of porting the package
> you'd hope it was tested at their end. At least that's what
> _I'm_ hoping.

Yes. The PPM used to be really meagre with builds 5xx (5.005_**) but with
6xx (5.6.*) the situation has improved. I believe they have some kind of
semi-automated way of making PPMs from CPAN modules.

They have stated that they'll only PPM modules (or versions of modules) that
pass their own tests on Windows. I believe the PPM version of Compress::Zlib
or Archive::Tar or some such was lagging behind the CPAN release by a couple
of versions because the newer versions didn't pass their own tests. So if
it's PPMable, it's supposedly been tested by ActiveState (perhaps not by a
person, but at least automatically).

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.