So I successfully built an Ubuntu 16.04 fat-client on a Debian Jessie server.
Rather than installing from jessie-backports, I pinned the ltsp packages to the
testing repository instead.

The client only boots as a thin client even with FAT_CLIENT=True in the
lts.conf file.

Is a fat-client boot not supported with mixed server/client distributions? That
would defeat the purpose of this experiment! What might I be missing if it is
supported? Would more packages in the chroot fix this?