I see some of our computers hesitate for a long time at this point in
the LTSP 5 bootup process under Ubutnu Feisty.

    Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability

In this case it's a Linksys LNE100 card using Etherboot (latest stable)
LC82c115 card.

I noticed that the Linux Tulip driver 1.1.14 (December 15, 2004) reports
that two devices are sharing IRQ 9  (The Ethernet card and some Intel
chipset on the motherboard.)

I've tried the BIOS option for "Plug and Play OS?"  in both Yes and No
settings.

If others also see this long pause during this phase you might also
check to see if the IRQ for your Ethernet card is shared with another
function as well.

Sometimes the delay is long other times it's not.

My DHCP does not notify assignments to a DNS server.  Sometimes I've
thought that might be partly to blame for sometimes slow DHCP assignments.

-Joe Baker