On Monday 23 July 2007 23:10, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> > > Imagine maintaining manually the hostname table / DNS record with 100+
> > > clients.
> >
> > Methinks you are trying to solve a non-existant problem!
> > Why would you maintain hostname table / DNS record with 100+ clients?
> >
> > Nobody needs to know, bother if you really did need this, you would be
> > able to say "bla for this reason". There is much more about LTSP that is
> > worth learning.
> > James
>
> Well,
> There is a client of mine who comes from "MS Windows Empire". In this
> Empire, a Domain controller posseses a DHCP service and DNS service where
> they both work "together", so when a Winxp is connected to the network, it
> will get the IP from DHCP and then DHCP will update the DNS record. So, the
> Administrator will only have to KNOW the HOSTNAME of the Winxp. He can
> right away ping/map network drive/connect to that Winxp without the hassle
> of knowing the IP address.
>
> Now, regarding LTSP5. He wants to migrate to "OpenSource" but with the
> above requirements. So, we managed to setup DHCP and DNS to work just like
> in Windows (please see the man page for dynamic updating of dns by dhcp).
> However, when we "activate" this feature, LTSP client got the IP address
> from DHCP but then failed to contact the TFTP server. This is the problem.
>
> I'm sure there is a solution for this. I suspect that it's a just a
> misconfiguration by me. So, please if anybody in this list already
> successfully implement this, a little clue to the right direction would be
> great.

OK, but anybody else knowing the IP/name of the thin clients is a BadThing
(TM). The explanation does not justify doing it. Even in my POS network with
EFTPOS (cash to bank) transactions to pinpads on the ltsp clients ONLY the
server knows that it's talking to ws001 or pos01 (whatever). Nobody else
should interact with the client (local apps excepted here).
Have fun, but you are wandering into the swamp!
James