On Monday 23 July 2007 09:56:05 Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> No.. not the user logged in.
> But, you are right about the lack of real benefit of
> dhcp-dns-dynamic-update for LTSP client. But, since the LTSP network and
> the rest of the network are in the same physical network, he still wants
> the dhcp-dns-dynamic-update (for the rest of the network). For the rest of
> the network, this feature is really needed (based on MS Domain Controller
> feature). So, yes, I will still try to figure it out how to make
> dhcp-dns-dynamic-update works for LSTP5.

Hello all,
I want to give an update. After googling numerous website with different
keywords (I really mean numerous, days of googling) I manage to get DNS
dynamically updated by DHCP on LTSP setup :)

Here's the confs:
The DNS and DHCP server reside on different server (not on LTSP server).

The important thing is the 'next-server' option in dhcpd.conf, it tells that
the DHCP server is not on the same box as tftp server:

authoritative;
server-identifier       centos5a;
ddns-updates            on;
ddns-update-style       interim;
ddns-domainname         "jauh.com.";
ddns-rev-domainname     "in-addr.arpa.";
ignore                  client-updates;

include                 "/etc/ddns_key.key";

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.100;
  option domain-name "jauh.com";
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.199, 10.1.2.253;
  option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
  option routers 192.168.0.254;
# alamat TFTP servernya:
  next-server 192.168.0.197;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
  }
  else{
    filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
  }
  option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
}

zone jauh.com. {
        primary 192.168.0.199;
        key ddns_key;
}

zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
        primary 192.168.0.199;
        key ddns_key;
}

Hope this helps other.
Cheers,
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:26:37 up 3:56, 2.6.20-16-generic GNU/Linux