Either should work.

The SVN version does maintain the site.vsl and the lib/ that some of
the other Jakarta sites use (though the Jakarta site itself no longer
uses them).

I just happily built the Regexp site using the SVN versions.

There are a handful of sites out there dependent on the site.vsl
(James, Tomcat, BCEL, BSF, Regexp). While it's a shame to duplicate
the functionality across modules; we're also increasingly decoupled
from each other and the dependency on the jakarta site module becomes
a restriction.

James have forked their site.vsl off for a different l&f. I switched
the jakarta site to XSL to avoid the need for dependency jars
(slightly bit me in the arse under 1.4, but in 1.5 it's very nice).

Hen