Chris Hostetter wrote:

: We have one large index right now... its about 60G ... When I open it
: the Java VM used 940M of memory.  The VM does nothing else besides open

Just out of curiosity, have you tried turning on the verbose gc log, and
putting in some thread sleeps after you open the reader, to see if the
memory footprint "settles down" after a little while? You're currently
checking the memoory usage immediately after opening the index, and some
of that memory may be used holding transient data that will get freed up
after some GC iterations.

Actually I haven't but to be honest the numbers seem dead on. The VM heap wouldn't reallocate if it didn't need that much memory and this is almost exactly the behavior I'm seeing in product.

Though I guess it wouldn't hurt ;)

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator). Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an invite! Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you should work for Rojo! If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!
AIM/YIM - sfburtonator, Web - http://peerfear.org/