To my most illustrious and venerable lord, the lord Christophorus Madrucius,
Cardinal and Prince of Trient and adminstrator of Brescia, my most dear lord

It was an old farmers' custom, most illustrious Prince, to spend the first
fruits to those Deities who would take care for them, as was supposed, in order
to bear witness to the farmers' piety toward the Deities by such a deed. In
imitation of that fashion, I have wished to dedicate these little fruits of my
labours to you. For this, I have no other reason than to show obedience and
loyalty of an attendant, who has long been dependent on you. Furthermore, I have
reckoned it timely to offer to you something which, I thought, might please and
attract you. Such is the music whose art and students you have always favoured
and nourished, knowing that among other famous ornaments which pertain to the
enlightenment of a Prince, the study of music must not be despised. As regards
the days when it was highly esteemed in ancient Greece, particularly music of
stringed instruments with changing strikes of melody, it is known that
commandments regarding music were not less hallowed than those regarding
nutrition or personal hygiene. Plato held music necessary for general welfare.
Lycurgus, himself a very wise legislator, judged that military exercises cannot
be appropiately conducted without musical melodies. For these reasons I hope
that you will accept my merry play. Although it may be very light, under your
protection it will nevertheless seem more sober and honourable and will achieve
great influence from your fabulous reputation and will therefore perhaps be
proved and endorsed, being adorned and protected by your name against the stings
of critics. Furthermore it will be a proof of your education that these little
things will be measured not by its matial shape but by its intellectual
contents. For even to king Artaxerxes a bottle of dirty water, that a farmer had
brought him in deep devotion, was most pleasurable and welcome. - Farewell!

Gintzler 1547.

Hope that will help, Gřran.

--
Best wishes,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/ Germany, T/F
+49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]