From:   James A Stimson [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   04 November 2003 15:17
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc:     Jon Murphy; Lute Net; Stewart McCoy; Roman Turovsky
Subject:        Re: Languages and strings

Dear Arto and All:
 Could this also be the source of the Gaelic word "ceilidh," meaning music
party?
 I would be surprised if there weren't at least a few Finnish words in the
English language. English seems to have stolen words from everybody else.
Yours,
Jim

                      Arto Wikla

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Jon Murphy" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>, "Roman Turovsky"
                      i.fi>                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                               cc:       "Stewart McCoy" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>, "Lute Net"
                      11/04/2003 03:59          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      AM                       Subject:  Languages and strings

                      Please respond to

                      wikla

Dear Jon,

you wrote:

> I assume, Arto, that when you refer to the difference between Italian and
> Spanish in the context of language, that you mean a difference among the

Just that a Finnish speaker and an Estonian speaker understand each other
as much as an Italian speaker and a Spanish speaker. Actually I suppose
Finnish and Estonian are a bit more different than Italian and Spanish.

> But I do think there is no Finno-Urgic in English,

It might be wrong, but I have heard that the word "boy" would come from
Swedish/Scandinavish word "pojke", which would come from the Finnish
word "poika". They all have the same meaning.

> and no one has answered me on the Basque. Is that of that Finno family?
> Or is it another separate language.

Basque is certainly not Fenno-Ugrian language!! I guess some Indo-Europeans
just have heard something they do not understand at all, and they thought
those languages must have something in common: their
"un-understability"...;-)

All this is quit off from lutes. So here is something to come back:

In Finnish the word language, tongue, and STRING are all "kieli"!
So a "lute string" is "luutun kieli", "English language" is
"englannin kieli", and "cat's tongue" is "kissan kieli".
"String instrument" is "kielisoitin", etc.

Arto