My aging memory may have failed me again and started an active thread. I
know that Basque is not of the Indo-European group of languages, but I could
have been wrong in classifiying Finnish as also different. I was sure one of
the Northern European languages joined the Basque in having a different
root.

The Indo-European family of languages includes Sanskrit, Greek, Latin and
all their derivations - as well as the Celtic, Teutonic and Skandinavian
families. In fact one of the ways that the languages and their origins is
studied is by comparing words that are appropriate to different locations
and eras. Certain words are probably similar in all languages from all
roots - I would guess that a form of Mama is universal (although I don't
agree with Noam Chomsky's "universal language". The easiest articulated
sound for an infant to make is that "Mum-Mum-Mum", and in my experience with
children and grandchildren the second is the explosive "Pa-Pa-Pa". Parents
looking for speech would reinforce that by repeating it back, and doing so
with the word evolved in their language. But the word for wolf wouldn't be
universal, in some places there were no wolves. So by looking at the words
that would be common to cultures and comparing them, the linguistic
anthropologists trace the origins of languages and peoples.

So far they have had no success with the Basques <g>. And having sung in
Finnish I had thought that was another one, but I might be quite wrong
there. Come to think of it, it might have been Hungarian, or another Slavic
language, that didn't relate to the Sanskrit.

Best, Jon

PS, many of you have the habit of addressing both the Lute list and the
individual sender. Or just do a "reply all" to someone else's message that
does the same. That results in the individual addressee getting two copies
of the same message, one sent to himself and one as a member of the Lute
List. This isn't a problem, easy enough to delete one, but one does have to
take the time to check that they are duplicates. This message is a "reply
all" to a message on this thread, but I edited out the To: and Cc: except
for the To: Lute List (or Lute Net, depending how you stored it).

JWM