Hi Goran, all,
Since you ask: I have been trying to prepare a project to publish the
Cherbury lute book in DVD format for a while now with mixed success. On the
plus side, the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge - which hold the MS - is
very encouraging. They not only agreed to have the book digitized, but they
also let me pick the people who would do the photography. This is very
important since the quality of the reproductions I got from the Folger was
(very) poor. On the plus side also, I got hold of some transcriptions of
the unica in the book made by Richard Dixon, and those have been transribed
into Django format by Richard Civiol. I also got a printed copy from the
microfilm as a preparation.
On the downside, I was not able to get the support I was hoping for from
lute societies - and I suspect will not be able to get that from lutenists
in general. Apparently, people are still waiting for the book facsimile.
That publication has been in the works for a number of years now, and
passed from editor's hand to editor's hand, all the way to Pierre-Francois
Goy, who assured me that his new-born baby was taking precedence over the
publication (understandly so). I don't think the wait is over yet. Even then:
The DVD format offers some quite tantalizing advantages: for one thing, it
can hold both digital copies and audio files. For another, it packs much
more data and so allows for very high quality digital pictures that can
prove invaluable for preservation purposes. Much, much better than a black
and white copy in the case of a hand-written document.
Given the size and complexity of that project, the many technical
challenges as well as the research involved, and let us not forget the
financing, this is not something that I can put together alone. Obviously.
Yet, Herbert deserves nothing less than the full package: high quality
color facsimile, complete recording (O'Dette's CD is out of print I think)
of all pieces, commentary and analysis, performance transcriptions, and
maybe even transcriptions in regular notation. And maybe a reproduction of
Walpole's edition of his life. All that in one little shiny disk. I think
the old soldier, diplomat, ladies' man and philosopher would like that.
Perhaps more on this later -
Alain