Hi!

It's true that you can exchange lacking voices in a set by an instrument
and adapt the part for the instrument - that's often done (in the past
and in our times).

But this should not lead to arbitrariness.

There are "patterns" to follow when creating your adaption.

On the lute I would more or less double the bass part (or the
"important" tones of the bass part) and add the voice which is missing
in the set. Then I would add some of the typical figures (the endings).
And if I still feel as if I could play more notes I'd add some
ornamentation here and there.

Best wishes
Thomas

--