bill killpatrick wrote:

> i find the whole hip approach to early music to be something of a
> tyranny.  if we were to apply it to other disciplines - like painting
> or opera, for example - then we wouldn't have verdi's shakespearian
> operas or anything much beyond cave drawings.

You don't seem understand what historically informed performance is, which
might explain why it could be "applied" to painting.  We don't, after all,
"perform" Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescoes (though a person's attitude
toward the importance of experiencing Michelangelo's original conception
might affect his position on restoration, or whether it would improve on
Michelangelo to view the whole thing on video screens or postage stamps or
bubble gum cards).  Of course, operas are performed in historically informed
ways all the time, with gratifying effects on the bank accounts of lutenists
and theorbo builders.

Taking a historically informed approach to Verdi's Falstaff means trying to
understand what sort of sounds and effects Verdi expected from the
performing forces at his disposal and assuming that the closer a performance
comes to them, the better it will be; i.e., that Verdi knew best how it
should sound.  If you begin by assuming that Verdi and Boito were committing
a sin in tampering with Shakespeare, you won't perform the opera at all, and
the question of whether to perform it in a historically informed manner
won't come up.

HIP is not a dogmatic system of condemning anything anachronistic
(anachronism is as pervasive as continuo in baroque opera) or historically
impure, but rather an assumption that a) an old work worth performing is
worth performing well, and 2) performing it well entails understanding as
fully as possible the sound that the creators had in their ears when they
did the creating.

Amazing.  I just wasted 250 words justifying historically informed
performance to a bunch of lute players.

Howard