Hi all,
-Sébastien de Brossard (died 1730), gives the following definition for a
chacone in his Musical dictionary:
Chacone: A kind of dance in the air of a saraband, derived from the Moors.
The bass always consists of 4 notes, which proceed in conjoint degrees,
wherin they make divers concords and copulets with the same burden.
The word is formed of the Italian ciacona or cecone, a blind man, this air
being said to have been invented by such a one.

His definition of the passacaglio:
A passacaglio is properly no more than a chacone. The only difference
between them is that the movement of this is somewhat graver, the tune
softer, and the expression less lively: they are for the most part in the
less modes or flat keys; wherin the third from its final is flat.

This seems to fits the difference between Bach's passacaglia in C for organ
and his chacone from the D-minor suite for violin at least in the
difference of tempo and mood. I suppose "less modes or flat keys" are what
we call minor modes today...

De Brossart alludes to the syncopation, but only in the article on
sarabande, saying: it is a dance ..that usually ends when the hands that
beats rises.

Isn't there an italian word like "caccia" meaning "chase" or hunt?
Alain