Dear Gary

My experience with Terzi is largely based upon playing his duets, all of
them. The accompanying parts are faithfull intabulations of vocal pieces,
and an effort has been made by Terzi to get in every note of the vocal
original, against all lute-practicalities like having only four fingers or
not being able to strech them like spaghetti (your examples). It is my
belief that these intabulations represent the ideal intabulations; even if
we could finger those chords, we would never be able to hold all the notes
needed to sustain the polyphony. They are like a pocket score or piano
reduction of the original.
When my duet partner and I were playing these piece, we each had a different
approach to solve the impossibilities. My duet partner regared the
accompaniments as harmonic progressions, so he simplified chords where
needed and played them like proto-continuo parts. He ended up with parts
that were a succession of playable chords with top and bottom voices the
same as Terzi's. That's a very practical and straightforward approach. I had
a more 16th century way of doing things: I traced all the polyphonic lines
and tried to play these as faithfull as possible. Where that became
impossible, I simplified the polyphony by leaving out a voice for some bars,
or occasionally refingering sections into a different position where I could
sustain more voices.
In both approaches we had to adapt individual chord shapes of Terzi, and
when we played the same parts, we came to quite different solutions. Also
because our fingers are quite different; I cannot always play what he can,
and the other way around. So for us the Terzi parts were like orhcestral
scores we had to arrange to our own fingers and musical taste; we made our
own lute reductions.

David

David van Ooijen
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]