Roman Turovsky wrote:

> There are some other players that use "hybrid" single-strung
> instruments
> that are almost L-F.
> Tim Burris uses a single strung lute set up as liuto-forte
> http://baroquelute.com/Archives.html
> Stubbs, Moreno and some others do something of the sort too.

And Luciano Contini's wire-strung archlute.  Michael Eagan's
all-purpose instrument was a 13-course swan-neck, single strung in
archlute tuning.

But these instruments are all built on historical principles, strung to
maximize the volume possible on a historical lute, as I'm sure some
historical must have done.  This is conceptually different from taking
the concept of the lute and redesigning it to be louder, on the model
of the modifications made to pianos and violins in the 19th century,
which is the idea behind the liuto forte.