Thanks Ed and David (and other comments too). Refining my comments a little,
I would say that for the solo work I would be happy with a lower pitch, so
tuning to F would be no big deal. I was worried about asking a soprano or
tenor to sing a tone lower, especially those who have already learned some
of these songs at 440. In this regard, I find David's comments very
interesting. I will not, however, be able to afford two lutes (why not use a
capo? - much cheaper!). I will give it much thought. But Ed, I totally
understand, agree with and appreciate what you are saying.

Rob