Confession time: I was originally thinking of a 7c, then played Malcolm
Prior's 10c (before it was shipped to Germany), and decided on one of those,
at 64cms. Now I'm thinking 7c again...I drive myself and everyone around me
crazy sometimes. So what do I want it for? I don't have a lute in
Renaissance tuning. Repertoire I would like to explore:

1. Dowland songs, especially the first three books - 7c
2. Dowland solos, including the chromatic fantasies - 7c
3. Francesco da Milano - 6c
4. Airs de cour - 10c
5. Scottish - 10c

All of the above could be played on a 10c, but not successfully. Likewise on
a 7c, but again with debateable compromise. So I need a luthier with a
'three for the price of one' offer!

The airs de cour could be played on the theorbo or 7c. The Scottish
repertoire is OK on a 7c, though not ideal. Francesco on a 7c? I wouldn't be
the first to do that. I could always take the seventh off and add an octave
to the fifth course, but is it worth it? Dowland songs down a tone or tone
and a half? Yes, I like a more spoken delivery - that might work if I could
get a singer willing enough.

So...

Today, it looks like a 7c in E (440), all gut, 64cms.

Tomorrow?

Rob