I get these scams rather frequently.  Another phishing technique is to
obtain personal information by offering to sell discount prescription
drugs from Canada. Your greed is part of the modus. It is a ruse to get
your credit card number.

But waiting this morning was a letter purporting to be from an official at
the Central Bank of Africa, informing me that he was sending me eight
hundred thousand
dollars from some "inheritance." But this one had a new twist, related to
your UPS story.  I
would be able to withdraw the money (but not more than $2500 per day) from
my local ATM using a master ATM card and PIN that he was sending me from
Africa via FED EX.  The ATM card would
be concealed inside a magazine.  I had to send all kinds of personal
information to a fake FedEx e-mail address.  And I was advised to act
quickly because of the mounting $250/day "security" fees charged by FedEx.
To retrieve my magazine I'd probably discover I'd have to pay several days
of 250 dollar security fees.<g>

Sometimes these scams come through the snail mail.  Charlotte has gotten
quite a few at the library.  These guys (and gals?) are so busy, they make
their own counterfeit Nigerian stamps. Millions if not billions of dollars
have been lost to such scammers. It's a huge operation.  If you offer a
musical instrument for sale, or even private music lessons over the
Internet (Alice Artz was targeted once), you are likely to attract their
attention.

The FBI and Scotland Yard both have web pages devoted to these scams.
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
This week's free download is Tchaikovsky's
Serenade for Strings in C, Op. 48, performed by  the Royal
Philharmonic Orchestra; Yuri Simonov, conductor.
To download, click on the CML link here
http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

My Web Page:  Scores
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/