I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

Earlier in the renaissance revival, George Kelischek engineered
inexpensive krummhorns using ABS plastic and plastic reeds. They were
far cheaper than wooden krummhorns, and were intended to be quite
popular with schools and amateur groups.

In actual fact, they didn't play like wooden krummhorns, they didn't
sound like wooden krummhorns, they were as hard (sometimes harder) to
maintain, and you won't find them in Kelischek's catalog anymore: the
only one to last is the Kelhorn, which GK designed and made to act as
an inexpensive bass. It has lasted because it is cheapish, small,
convenient, and nothing like an historical instrument at all.

Likewise, the turtleback instruments of Ovation are quite serviceable,
but not the same as acoustic guitars. Even though they can be cheaper
than acoustic guitars, and have many desirable qualities, a lot of
acoustic guitarists have no interest in them whatsoever, because the
characteristics are not those of acoustic guitars. Others, considering
these sensibilities to be on the order of audiophiles who will fight
to the death that they can hear things that they can't, couldn't care
less, and form a small but paying audience (well, group of consumers.)

These instruments are quite 20th/21st century... but they are
something considerably less than even recreations of the originals.

The world is filled with Middle-eastern lutes and bagpipes, cheap,
unplayable, and not-quite-the-real-thing. Do we need more fo them,
made from space-age materials, but specifically intended to be cheap?

God forbid!
ray