Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Closure of V&A Instrument Gallery

Monica Hall wrote:
That doesn't surprise me. The one time I made it to the Fitzwilliam I'd just got to the instrument gallery and had cast a cursory glance at the Stradivarius guitar when I was ejected because they were closing the gallery due to lack of staff.

I am afraid (as an ex librarian and government employee) that it is all about money but it is also true that when money is short classical music is the first thing to suffer. Not sufficiently PC or multicultural to be taken seriously.

I wonder if you got to see the funny Spanish 18th century "cittern".

MOnica

This?

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/SpCitt.jpg

I dimly remember discussing this in the past - in the context of one-man-bands! I think you dug out some reference from GSJ or somewhere. I know that some 17th century guitarists strummed and played rattles and things but I'm sure this instrument is said to be 18th century. And there is a similar instrument in the Hague (I think).

Stuart