There is another side to the V&A story.  Only three weeks ago they
   opened a set of ten new medieval and Renaissance galleries at a cost of
   -L-31 million.  The new galleries have garnered fantastic reviews -
   here's just one example:

   [1]http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/nov/30/victoria-and-albert-mu
   seum-galleries

   The Guardian points out that this is the first time that many of the
   objects have been on permanent display, and that others have been in
   storage for decades.  This is a serious issue for museums: too many
   possessions, not enough space.  So they have to make agonising choices
   about what to display, which can change from time to time.  And the new
   galleries do have a fantastic collection of works: Leonardo,
   Michelangelo, Donatello....

   And this is apparently only the first phase of a -L-120 million
   redisplay of the whole museum, which should be welcomed
   whole-heartedly.

   As for the musical instruments, I fervently hope that they do remain on
   public display (or should that be 'return to'?) by one means or
   another.  Has there been any reaction from the Horniman museum (etc)
   about this golden opportunity for them?

   Peter