I've seen Paul O'Dette use repeated rest strokes in the bass, sometimes for
fairly fast lines that I would take with p-i alternating (free) strokes.  On
the other hand, I've seen Robert Barto occasionally use rest strokes in the
treble.

   There are an awful lot of paintings (especially, but not exclusively,
baroque) in which the players are clearly using a rest stroke with the fingers
a la classical guitar.  In most of these the player is obviously tuning; in
some, its not so clear.  I know of no printed instructions, however.

Chris