Ron,

    Good points.  I'm working on exactly this point.

    The main issue with true thumb-out is getting a decent and - far more
importantly - _consistent_ sound out of the treble strings.  There clearly was
a marked aural difference between the too positions that the baroquenists
admired.  How else to explain the Stammbuch of Stobaeus when he contrasts the
"pure, sharp, bright" tone of thumb-out versus the "rotten and muffled" sound
of old thumb-under.  I think most modern baroque lutenists attempt to re-create
the thumb-under sound.  They therefore have an anachronistic conception of tone.

    I can't say that I agree with the "rotten and muffled" part, but for me,
there is nothing saying that a brighter sound can't be expressive.  In my
experiments, I've found that it is quite possible to have a wide range of
timbral, tonal and dynamic shadings.  The lute just responds differently with
the fingers in this position.  Still a work in progress.

    The secondary issue is that the true baroque lute technique is very, very
close to modern classical guitar technique.  I think this strikes too close to
home for many lutenists for whom thumb-under is part of the (modern) "identity"
of what it means to be a "real" lute player, as distinct from wannabe classical
guitarists who thrash around on a pear-shaped instrument at ren. fests, etc.

Chris