Thanks, Taco.

Of course conversions sometimes involved other changes. The point about the 10-11c conversion is that it could be done with the minimum of changes. Perhaps we make too strong a distinction between "renaissance" and "baroque" lutes. My guess is (based on my own experience of many years ago) that when you retuned your 10c in D minor tuning you felt it suddenly sounded like a different instrument? The structure of the lute remains the same, but the tuning, and the different patterns of resonance it produces, transform it into a "baroque" lute! I felt I suddenly understood why they changed the tuning - to get a different fundamental "sound". There is a parallel, of course, in the "open chord" tunings used by folk (and even rock) guitarists these days....

Best wishes,

Martin