Hi Sean and all,

Mindful of the fact that HIP frets should be double, in the late 1980s I had double frets on one of my lutes for some time. I found that I could flatten the strand nearest the nut slightly by rubbing it with my thumbnail and this speeded up the process of wearing them in. I had no trouble with unclear notes.

I can't remember when or why, but eventually I went back to single frets. Then there was a discussion on this list about the virtues of double frets, including the idea that they gave a clearer and/or more sustained sound. So I was inspired to try them again (same lute) and had some trouble getting clear notes - only in one or two places, but it was enough to put me off. Perhaps I should have used Sean's double-single method (non-HIP) which allows you to have a thinner fret on the nut side and would also make it easier to separate them if you wanted to go in for a bit of tastino!

I was also attracted to the idea that double frets slip less and might be more secure in terms of strings slipping sideways, because of the greater surface area in contact with the string. This was an especially attractive idea for playing slurred passages on the theorbo. When I refret the theorbo, I think I'll have to try it.

It's also interesting that most players nowadays use huge frets (single) while the old guys (the Ambassadors painting, Dowland) used very thin (double) frets. Is there a connection?

Best wishes,

Martin

Sean Smith wrote:

Well, Dan, there's that special tomato knot that defies comprehension standing between me and HIP in this case. Can you imagine doing that w/ those monster 1mm 1st and 2nd frets? Brrr.

I don't know if anyone answered the question on how often to change frets but I remember Jacob Herringmann saying he swapped them all out before concerts. A lot of work tho I'm sure it gets easier as time goes by. He uses singles as far as I've ever seen. But there is nothing quite as clean-sounding as a newly fretted instrument.

Grant Tomlinson taught that we should have a good cradle for the lute to work with changing frets and expect to take your time. Then he mentioned Jacob did it all sitting on the couch, lickety split. Me, I'm an all afternoon kinda guy.

Even new doubled frets at their best never quite sounded as clean as singles --just my opinion and I'm sure there are pros who really have it down. Personally, I think the extended surface absorbs the high frequencies. Same goes for old single frets.

Sean