Good point, Alexander. There could easily be an aesthetic point to a slight bray and I confess to enjoying this aspect of double frets.

Although unrelated to renaissance music as we know it, many Indian instruments like the vina, sitar and tamboura have a braying mechanism just north of the bridge. A clear ringing string is avoided in favor of a buzz that causes the ring to mutate over its timespan. In other words, a long note changes over its life adding sonic textures outside the player's control.

Sean