     From: gonzornumpl...@roadrunner.com <gonzornumpl...@roadrunner.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Help identifying 40 year old lute!
     To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu, "Samuel Jacques" <dei...@yahoo.com>
     Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 8:06 PM

   Dear Samuel,
   Though I cannot be definitive, years ago I purchased on ebay a 13 cs
   baroque lute having similar features and price which was made by a
   highly skilled Englishman or Irishman named A.(Anthony) Murphy.  It had
   unique not entirely historical features including a laterally doubled
   pegbox (this innovation halved the length of the pegbox) and similar
   fixed metal frets with very deep or high relief wood frets on the
   soundboard.  The lute was somewhat heavy, and I tried a variety of
   stringings but could never obtain anything close to the resonance of my
   1976 Lundberg (a very light instrument made specifically for my
   hands).  The Murphy 13 cs lute was in perfect condition, and in
   retrospect I should have attempted to use high tension (guitar-like)
   strings in order to improve sound projection.  Instead, needing a tax
   deduction at the time, I donated the instrument to a local university
   where most of the students have never before seen a lute of any kind,
   and it remains in the college art museum like a piece of furniture
   students can gawk at.
   If I'm not mistaken, your Renaissance instrument has a Padoan
   soundboard shape.  Your 8th course may rattle due to the fractured nut
   underneath, but I would prefer having a seven as opposed to an 8-course
   lute anyway, there being much more extant music tabulature for seven as
   compared to eight courses.   There are vastly more knowledgeable people
   on this list who may be able to correct my own misconceptions or
   misstatements, but I fully appreciate your concern and need for
   information.  Wish I could provide more.
   Mark Seifert M.D.
   ---- Samuel Jacques <[1]dei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

   >    Hello!  I have to admit I am new to the list, and to lute playing
   in
   >    general.  I started off by practicing on a cheap paki flat back
   lute
   >    (300$) just to see if I would like it, and I do!  So today I found
   >    beautiful lute on ebay that was still relatively cheap (900$).
   >    Now, I know from reading the archive that there are alot of
   purists on
   >    the list - but you know, I love my paki lute since without it, I
   would
   >    never have been able to attempt to play this beautiful music.  The
   >    sound might not be good, but considering I have never played
   guitare or
   >    any instrument, I'm sure I could even make a $12,000 lute sound
   like a
   >    sick duckling.
   >    So with that in mind, I bought this new lute today.  It's a step
   up
   >    from what I have now, I am sure.  But now I would like to know
   more
   >    about the instrument.  The seller could not identify the maker's
   mark,
   >    and there is no label inside.  The craftmanship seems pretty good
   >    though.  here are the pictures:
   >    [2]http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/deides/lute/
   >    and the description (sorry for the size):
   >    * Vintage 8 Course Renaissance Lute w/ original case and wooden
   peg
   >    tuner * 640 mm scale * The action at the 8th fret measures .181
   inches
   >    or 4.60 mm * Ebony, ivory dotted tuners * Neck is curly maple w/
   ebony
   >    filets * 15 gorgeous brazilian rosewood ribs w/ an aged german
   spruce
   >    top * Rosewood bridge, ebony fretboard and mahogany rose * Curly
   maple
   >    and mahogany peg head * This lute sounds fantastic, but there are
   >    issues that have been high-lighted in the pics * The nut has
   damage to
   >    the 8th course section * It is chipped, but the strings still stay
   >    where they should * There are various cracks in the spruce top :
   below
   >    the bridge, next to the high frets, between the bridge and rose *
   What