I purchased my first lute in 1977, used.  it was an East German lute,
by a builder named, "Meinl".  It was a heavily constructed lute, and
it appears very similar to the one in your photos.

It had many guitar-like features, including metal frets and a bridge
saddle.  If my memory serves me correctly, it may have had an
engraving on the belly, where the neck meets the belly, with
initials.  Perhaps the "M" is for Meinl.

Is there anyone on the list familiar with these old lutes?

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812