To: "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net>
Cc: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 9:31 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: "Self-expression" ?

On Jul 3, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Roman Turovsky wrote:

That's Creativity, not Self-Expression.

You remind me of those music students who say, "I don't want to learn music, I just want to learn to play the..." (fill in the instrument of your choice).

If one is capable of creativity, then surely that becomes the form one's "self-expression" will take. If one is incapable of it, then this discussion is meaningless.

Look at it this way: if one suppresses one's creativity, in the name of some personal perception of "history" or possibly out of fear of public opinion, does one not also supress one's own emotional expression?

RT

From: "David R" <d_lu...@comcast.net>
The term "self expression" can refer to the phenomenon of taking a bunch of notes and makng "music" out of them.