On Jul 3, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Roman Turovsky wrote:

> That may very well be so, but a Mass does not have to complete to be a
> full-blown slap in the face of the ecclesiastical taste. And eccessive
> melancholy has always been viewed with suspicion by the authorities. Still is.

I no longer know what point you're trying to make.  I think we've settled that
the C minor  Mass had nothing to do with Mozart's leaving the service of the
Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg, and that there's no evidence that any particular
18th-century churchman had his face slapped by the Mass or Davidde Penitente.
And yes, a Mass must be complete to be a full-blown slap in the face.  An
incomplete mass can be only a half-blown slap, or perhaps a slap that doesn't
reach the face and hits the collar bone.  If it's a particularly funny mass,
it's a knee-slapper.

I have a tough time believing that some cleric would know or care what key a
mass movement was in.  Yes, there might have been a bishop here and there with
perfect pitch, or the occasional cardinal who liked to look over the musician's
parts, but on the whole it must have been a non-issue.

Only the Kyrie of the C minor Mass is actually in C minor, BTW (at least that's
true of the Maunder edition); the Gloria and Sanctus are in blazing C major.

I don't know what authorities are suspicious of excessive melancholy, and would
be curious to know what evidence you have that this has always been the case.
But maybe this is getting a bit OT, unlike such matters as gynecology.