In my perspicacious opinion the CDs are in fact dead, and in the future there will be only mp3s and vynil LPs as deluxe collectors items.
RT

  On 6/26/2012 9:16 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:
    Thanks, Tom.  This topic is just another example of the way things
    change when we don't pay attention, and not always for the better.  All
    recording artists are suffering from the "Free Culture" syndrome, and
    lutenists are like canaries in the coal mine.
    RA
    > Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:47:22 -0500
    > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; praelu...@hotmail.com
    > From: t...@heartistrymusic.com
    > Subject: [LUTE] Re: New post
    >
    > Ron and Donna, thanks for this post.
    > Although it is about recorded music in general, I don't consider it
    > to be "off topic", because professional lute players must make and
    > sell recordings. Although sales of early music are probably not
    > affected as much now as, say, Cold Play, by what is happening in
    > the "Free Culture" generation, it is only a matter of time. It
    certainly
    > has already affected contemporary instrumental guitarists and other
    > "acoustic" and "folk" genres.
    > Inspired by a comment in one of David Tayler's posts "... CDs are
    dead ...",
    > I posted a question to the list some time ago, asking peoples'
    opinion
    > as to the fate of CDs. I was a little surprised that NOBODY
    responded.
    > Maybe it is considered too "off topic". Although it's not as lute
    specific as
    > Kapsberger or 4060 or Nylgut, it will definitely affect all music,
    > even lute music, and the ability of professional players to make a
    living.
    > How will we be buying our recordings 10 years from now?
    > Or WILL we be buying them?
    > I hope everybody on the list will take the time to read the articles
    linked
    > in your post - especially the one by Emily White of NPR's "All Songs
    Considered".