I'm really enjoying this discussion and the varying viewpoints.
I must say that, even at age 55, I still like to have physical media.
Interesting point, though, about the longevity of CDs and CDrs.
I had archived an out-of-print LP to CD for myself approximately
10 years ago, went to play the CD a few weeks ago, and it was
un-playable.  Fortunately I had made extra copies, and one was
good enough to be able to extract the tracks in SoundForge and
re-burn the CD.
  But, who wants to have to do that on a regular basis?  I've been
told that the motion picture industry, which stores movies on hard -
drives,  re-archives these drives every year to prevent data loss.
  We DO already have a fairly reliable archival medium with some
built in copy protection: it's called the LP.  But, except for a few
purists, I don't see that being the media of the future.
  Will it be DVD?  MP3?  FLAC?  24bit 96KHz ?  Who knows?
One thing is for sure:  the BIG music companies would rather not
have to manufacture hunks of plastic and ship them by rail and
truck to sales outlets  They would much rather simply control the
content and sell online.
  I think the death knell for cassettes was when the big auto-makers
stopped putting cassette players in vehicles.  Ford has announced
that they are phasing out CD players in cars.  They will be superceded
by XM / FM radios with an iPod dock and / or USB port for a flash drive.
So, while I and other luddites will hold on dearly to their CDs, I think
the writing is on the wall.  Will my grandchildren stare in wonder at
them like I did 78s?
  Still, the big question in MY mind is, what will THEY be listening to?
Thanks all,
  Tom

Tom Draughon
Heartistry Music