Dear Bill,

I think I can (briefly) answer your questions:

There is a HUGE amount of music that survives for this instrument. If you check my web page for the 18th century and do a CTRL-F for "english guitar" there are at least 274 publications:

http://applications.library.appstate.edu/music/lute/C18/1700.html

More of these sources now labeled "guitar" are probably for this instrument as well.

The quality? It varies . . . it is an amateur instrument and much of the music is just an arrangement of a melody--a single line at the end of a publication really for piano and voice. But I must admit that the piece Rob played and his playing was disarmingly effective; hearing one of these instruments always makes me want to play one . . .

There is a nice sonata by J.C. Bach:

J.C. Bach c1775
Bach, Johann Christian. A sonata for the guitar with an accompaniment for a violin (London, [England]: Longman, Lukey, and Co.) [BUC]
English guitar and violin in staff notation

The second question is easy: to my knowledge, this instrument was NEVER called the "English guitar" in the 18th century. Always "guittar" or even "guitar" with various other spellings/other names in German and French.

Gary