     From: Pieter Van Tichelen <pie...@vantichelen.name>
     Subject: re: [LUTE] Re: The English Guitar
     To: "WALSH STUART" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>, "Martyn Hodgson"
     <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 1 February, 2013, 10:05

   Hi Stuart & Martyn,
   Sorry to say but the most recent theories say the instrument wasn't
   exactly invented in England / Great Britain. Most evidence seems to
   point towards the instrument being imported (though it did transform a
   lot after that) from continental Europe - probably German (and digging
   to further origins Middle Europe). For further reading about this
   theory, see the PhD about the English guittar by
   Panagiotis Poulopoulos:
   [1]http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/5776
   Other interesting reading material about the English guitar I recently
   found is an article by Juergen Kloss:
   [2]http://justanothertune.com/html/guittarinbritain.html
   Just my little contribution to get everyone reading up on the origins
   of the English guit(t)ar. ;)
   Kind regards,
   Pieter