Dear Bruno,

   I'm so glad you rejoined the fray as I was worried that despair over
   EM's status, egged on by my own complaints, could have slowed your pen.

   I apologize if my Neanderthal background rubs people the wrong way, but
   I wish to express a really spooky/scary idea that cannot wait for
   Halloween/Walpurgisnacht.  An email from a peace organization regarding
   8/6/45 reminded me that intercepted Japanese wires made it clear to US
   military and political authorities that Japan was ready to surrender,
   but Truman/Groves wanted to scare/bully Stalin (imagine that) and
   experiment on unpopular live people, so he dropped the bombs
   anyway.   And of course we all know what the US Empire has been doing
   worldwide since WWII now that Oliver Stone's Untold History of US has
   spilled the beans.  By tradition and on a proportion of population
   basis, it seems to me lute is a lot more popular in Japan than in the
   USA.  Is it possible Japanese have more refined sensibilities?

   Just yesterday I heard on a historical radio broadcast that Henry The
   Navigator, the first Euro explorer to round the cape, once delivered 6
   ships laden with African slaves to Lisbon.  The nuns presented Henry to
   me as a hero of Catholicism during grammar school.  That greedy
   bastard.  Did they tell you the same story, Chris Wilke?  They also
   presented Bach as a religious hero even though he was actually an enemy
   Lutheran.

   Could it be that early music distills and displays something deep
   within our common genocidal culture?  Might it be that
   multiethnic/multicultural Brazilians may hear something wicked in
   European music presented in its purest forms?  The murderous or
   gold-grubbing sentiments of the Conquistadores, perhaps?

   Look where the lute is preeminent--the Islamic world.  India, if you
   include the wire-strung lutes.  Good players seem in the few
   Lebanese/Egyptian CDs of live Oud performances that I have heard,
   to enjoy almost God-like status, which I believe is needed by lute
   players in order to survive.

   The Oud is nearly unchanged since long before the Crusades, while
   European lutes have largely disappeared from the Western public arena
   despite the efforts of Dolmetsch and so many other masters.  Obviously,
   the muslim regions of the world like their lutes more than more western
   zones.  Could modern western musical authority's disdain for the lute
   reflect a clash of cultures?

   Univ. of Michigan's Juan Cole, a huge and perhaps preeminent modern
   Middle East scholar, recently decried the widespread hatred among
   Americans for Muslims, and argued/demonstrated that historical evidence
   shows that the people of Iraq/Iran and related nations have
   demonstrated far less warlike/genocidal inclinations than Western
   JudaeoChristian ones.
   Suzanne Bloch was a close relative of Albert Einstein, the great
   pacifist.  I believe the lute is an instrument of peace, and that is
   why "they" seek to suppress it, preferring their loud clanging pianos
   and blaring martial trumpets.

   Could it be that the piano people have a deep seated desire to string
   us all up with piano wire?

   Mark Seifert, shivering in fear