So what you're saying, Nancy, in the kindest possible way of course, is
   that lutenists, generally speaking, are a charmless bunch of
   technophobes.  Ah well, if the cap fits . . . .  :(

   Bill
   From: Nancy Carlin <na...@nancycarlinassociates.com>
   To: "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 6 August 2013, 19:56
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: general public Lute awareness
   As some of you know I spent 35 years as an agent for musicians, between
   my 2 stints with the LSA - a lot of this time was working on building
   careers and salability for folk and Celtic musicians. I see a few
   things missing that other genres of music have used to grab toe holds
   in the ladder toward success (or just keeping the heads above water).
   - web pages. This is the first place where potential employers (concert
   promoters etc.) look to find contact information. There are more than a
   few "names" in the lute world who do not have their own web sites. When
   you Google them all you get is links to buy their CDs.
   - email lists. I have yet to see a paper out at a lute concert where
   the players is collecting emails for his own mailing list. Concert
   promoters have a hard time getting audiences out and need all the help
   they can get. Musicians who help them fill the seats get booked.
   - the lute world seems to be made up of players of all levels, but
   completely empty of people who are just fans. Take a look at the
   audience base for Irish music - there are tons of people who have never
   played an instrument and never will, but who love going out to hear
   live music.
   - a common comment from concert and festival presenters is that they
   are looking for performers who can connect with their audiences. This
   is all the other communication besides playing the music and what they
   usually mean is talking to the audience between the pieces.
   Nancy
   >    Brilliant! Lute lobbyists are the answer, as demonstrated by Mr.
   >    Dubrow's experience.  For the cost of one nuclear sub, the entire
   lute
   >    world could carouse in luxury.
   >
   >    Mark

   -- Nancy Carlin
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   [5]http://lutesocietyofamerica.org/
   PO Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524
   USA