Dear David,

I'm kind of slow in the math department but in my experience low tensions strings _are_ more difficult to tune. When you get close to the breaking point - ok, and just a bit shy of almost there - they find that sweet spot rather nicely and you get a fine action around the tuning peg, too. eg, a quarter turn will yield fewer cents of change than at lower tension. That's just my experience. The higher tension around the peg also helps your control of turning so having pegs nicely fitted (and doped tho I almost never use it) will also help. That sweet spot/tension gives a better tone and I think more consistent. At lower than ideal tension the ring starts off higher and tapers lower according to my tricorder.

Making sure your nut is well lubricated helps, too. Graphite is popular but I like beeswax for less mark up.

The toughest time I ever had was a roped gut bass on a 4-course guitar that was short to begin with (~40cm) and then tuning it down a tone for one piece.

Sean