David,

there is a possibility of improving your situation. First you have to make sure
you know which way the string is twisted (clockwise or counter). A strong
magnifying glass might be of help.
Next you need to get one end of the string free, either the bridge end or the
peg end.
Firmly holding the string, give it one or two turns in the direction of the
twist. Twist as much as possible without a distortion to the shape of the
string. Do not let the string to bulk on itself.
Fix the end of the string back where it belongs and raise the pitch. Of course
make sure the string does not untwist, and keep it somewhat taut while holding.

This simple technique might be enough to increase the string's elasticity and
make it more agreeable to finger pressure. There is no difficulty to this, just
some amount of common sense, and never turn against the string's twist, as if
the string is not glued well together, it could be damaged. You could practice
on a piece of fret gut, to get a feel to it. Some strings can take quite a bit
of twist and actually be improved by this.

alexander r.